We are reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Buying a gun is followed by another important responsibility of keeping it safe. Your gun should always remain in a safe place, away from the reach of children and burglars. This is when you must invest in a safe storage option for your weapon. Different kinds of storage options are available throughout the market. Two of the most popular choices are – gun safe vs gun cabinet.
Both these storage options have a common aim of keeping your gun safe and away from intruders. But when it comes to choosing a better alternative, there are certain features that you must keep into consideration. Here is an insight into the comparison of a gun safe with a gun cabinet.
Gun Cabinet Vs. Gun Safe – Which One To Buy?
A gun cabinet is a portable storage option that comes with heavy metal construction. You can carry it anywhere you want. This storage alternative is usually made of wood. Some of the cabinets come with a glass-door, thereby making your weapon more vulnerable and visible to others. The only advantage of a gun cabinet is that you can lock its door and keep it away from the reach of the children. What makes a gun cabinet is more preferable is that its construction doesn’t catch fire.
A gun safe, on the other hand, is slightly bigger in size and cannot be carried from one place to the other if they are bigger in size. These gun safe are made up of steel hence, there is a possibility that your safe, as well as a weapon, may catch fire.
But, the bolting mechanism of a gun safe makes it a sought-after option for many people, especially for the ones who keep traveling places with their weapons in tow. And with a steel layer construction which even prevents the burglars from drilling the same. Thus, no matter what, your weapon always remains safe and secure.
A gun cabinet might look aesthetically appealing and nominal, but when it comes to taking extra safety measures in keeping your weapon safe, it’s a win-win situation for the gun safe. Having said that, it all depends upon your preferences. Some people like to keep their guns in a wooden cabinet while others prefer the option of a gun safe as it is more secure than its competitor.
Let’s talk about some of the advantages and disadvantages of having a gun safe and gun cabinet below which will give clear answers.
Advantages Of Gun Safe
There are many advantages of having a gun safe and the disadvantages of having a gun safe discussed below. If you are looking for a fireproof and waterproof safe for less than 500$ then check this post.
- Comes with thick solid steel construction with numerous gauge ratings ranging from 8 to 16 gauge. The lower the gauge more secure that unit will be.
- This rifle unit comes fireproof, waterproof, and protects your stored firearms from a thief. So in times of flood or fire type situation, you can be relaxed due to fireproof or waterproof feature.
- You can also store multiple handguns, pistols, rifles, long guns, and other valuable items due to their extra space inside the unit.
- These units are so heavy in size that it will be impossible for burglars to carry with them.
Disadvantages Of A Gun Safe
- Due to its heavy size, it will always be impossible for a single person to move the rifle safe from one place to another. Always remember a quality unit comes in heavyweight size.
- The price of quality safe is always at the higher end.
- Almost every gun unit can catch fire easily due to its build quality.
Now let’s talk about some of the advantages and disadvantages of the Gun cabinet below.
Advantages Of Gun Cabinet
Now let’s about some of the advantages and disadvantages of the gun cabinets below.
- A Gun cabinet is usually good for the decoration of your house or office. If you want to display your weapons to everyone then a gun cabinet can be your best choice.
- The gun cabinet is made up of wood so it can be easily moved from one place to another. A Gun cabinet is best for keeping your firearms away from kids.
- Easily assembled and on budget. If you want to store guns, rifles, and handguns, etc then gun cabinets will be in your budget.
- Due to the glass door, you can have a look at all the weapons you have stored inside.
Disadvantages Of Gun Cabinet
- You cannot rely on the security of stored firearms. It can be easily broken as it has a glass door.
- When the event of fire or flood the gun cabinet has zero protection.
- Best for decoration but not good serious protection of firearms stored inside.
Which One Is Right One For Me Gun Safe Vs Gun Cabinet?
When it comes to protecting your stored firearms both the units will protect your stored firearms. Also, both units have different protection levels with different security features. Gun cabinets will also tend to secure your guns but they can be easily breakable as compared to the gun safe. So, the gun cabinet is good for those who like to display their rifles to everyone as they are attractive.
But when we talk about gun safe then you can rely on the security and protection of pistols, other important items, rifles, shotguns, etc. This unit has a fireproof and waterproof feature and more protective than a gun cabinet.
When choosing between gun cabinet vs gun safe then gun cabinets are good for those who are looking for protection in budget-friendly options. If you are looking to protect your guns from children then I would recommend you to go with a gun cabinet.
But if you are looking for protection from theft and fire then go with a gun safe which is best for stored firearms. Now it’s up to you what suits you best for your stored guns or other important items.